Thomas Braatz wrote (April 29, 2003):
The Autograph Score:
This autograph score was inherited by W. F. Bach. The next owner (unnamed/unknown) purchased(?) it from W. F. Bach (or from his estate) and later put it up for auction at the beginning of the 19th century. The purchaser at this auction was Carl Pistor who later passed it on in his family to his son-in-law, Adolf Rudorff. While the manuscript was in the latter’s son, Ernst Rudorff’s, possession, the BG used it as a basis for their publication of the cantata in 1876. Later, Ernst Rudorff put it up for auction in 1893. It seems to have been in Count Waldstein’s possession in Prague before it became the property of Charles Malherbe (1853-1911) who later presented it as a gift to the Bibliothèque du Conservatoire de Musique in the Bibliothèque Nationale Paris. This is where it is still located today.
At the top of 1st page, Bach wrote:
J. J. Dominica 25 post Trinit: Du Friede-Fürst, Herr Jesu Christ
[The words “Dominica” and “Herr” are abbreviated]
Above the 2nd mvt.: Aria Obboe solo [the word ‘Obboe’ is not autograph, probably in the hand of Johann Andreas Kuhnau]
At the end mvt. 2: Sequitur Recit.
Above mvt. 6: Choral
At the end of mvt. 6: Fine | SDG
The Original Set of Parts:
The original set of parts went, as was commonly the case, to Anna Magdalena after the death of J. S. Bach. She, in turn, soon (within a year) gave them to the St. Thomas School where they remained until today (actually now in the Bach-Archiv, Leipzig.) There are still 11 parts remaining. A 12th part, a continuo in G belonged to this set until 1876, when it was separated from the group. The records show that George van der Meylen purchased it for the industrial magnate Raoul Warocqué (1870-1917) from the Leipzig Antiquariat of Otto August Schulz for 1,800 marks on September 8, 1906. Warocqué, who was childless, presented it to the Mariemont Museum in Morlanwelz, Belgium, where it is located today.
Parts that are missing:
The following doublets: Violino I & II and the untransposed continuo part.
The existing original parts copied by Johann Andreas Kuhnau, Johann Sebastian Bach and Copyist 1 (also known as Main Copyist B) are as follows:
1. Soprano (Kuhnau mvts. 1-4; Bach 5-6)
2. Alto (Kuhnau 1-2; Bach 3-6
3. Tenore (Kuhnau 1-4; Bach 5-6)
4. Basso (Kuhnau 1-4; Bach 5-6)
5. Corno (Bach)
6. Hautbois d’Amour (Kuhnau)
7. Hautbois d’Amour (Kuhnau)
8. Violino Primo (Kuhnau)
9. Violino 2do (Kuhnau)
10. Viola (Kuhnau)
11. Continuo (Kuhnau)
12. Continuo (transposed) (Copyist 1 1-4; Kuhnau 5-6)
Date of Composition:
The time of composition has been determined to be in 1724 with the 1st performance taking place on November 26, 1724. A later performance, based on Bach’s handwriting from his late period, took place in the 1740’s. Bach’s handwriting changed noticeably at the beginning of the 1740s.