Born: August 19, 1913 - Aue, Germany
Died: January 13, 1998 - Dresden, Saxony, Germany
The German conductor, Martin Flämig (or Flaming), became after graduating in 1948, Kantor at the Dresdner Versöhnungskirche; a year later he founded the Landeskirchenmusikschule (National School of Church Music). In 1953 he was appointed professor at the Hochschule für Musik in Dresden. In 1959 he took over duties as a teacher at the Conservatoire in Berne and choirmaster of the Engadiner Kantorei in der “Laudinella“ in St. Moritz.
To enable him to have further work in Switzerland and thus to have him as a conductor, members of the Berner Kantorei, the Basler Münsterkantorei and the former Ostschweizer Auswahlchors founded in 1962 the Evangelische Singgemeinde and asked Martin Flämig as their first musical director. He also served as organist in Bern, Thun and Effretikon as well as conductor of the Thuner Singkreises, the Lehrergesangvereins Seeland and the Zürcher Radiochors.
In 1971 Martin Flämig was appointed Kantor of Dresdner Kreuzchor, succeeding Rudolf Mauersberger. He hold this post until 1991. Under his guidance the traditional boys' choir literature was supplemented with choir-symphonic compositions in its classical and romantic repertoire. Modern works as well were a point of emphasis in his work. In 1988, he became an honorary citizen of the city of Dresden. Flämig was a member of the Evangelischen Michaelsbruderschaft (Lutheran Brotherhood Michael).
Since 1991, Martin Flämig lived in retirement in Tschingel in Gunten on Lake Thun. He died in 1998 and was buried in the cemetery Weisser Hirsch in Dresden.