La Lira Saguntina was re-founded on October 18, 1908, according to its first Act. But its history is much more ancient and curious, towards the times of the Carlist War appears the band of the Garibaldis, founded by Tomás Gutierrez. They wore military uniform, navy blue warrior, golden buttons, red and yellow trousers. The gala uniform also wore a red band on the waist and a red feather on the sombrero. This band was born years later Lira Saguntina. Years later another military band "Los Cerralbos" was popularly called "Los Serralbos", founded by the Marquis de Cerralbo with political rather than cultural motives, as he himself was in charge of the Carlist party. They wore a uniform almost identical to Los Garibaldis, it only varied in the band that was blue. They were rival bands, and not only in the music. After several skirmishes between both, Los Serralbos disappeared, some of their musicians passed to Los Garibaldis and between the two the Lira Saguntina was born, formed by the members of the body of sappers and firemen of Sagunto.
In 1886 they already participated in the Contest of Bands of Valencia, directed by Tomás Gutierrez and like president Antonio Chabret Fraga.A from there it was unstoppable the amount of prizes won in all the contests that participated. At the same time, the foundation was established as a Musical Society.
In 1910 the flags of the Red Cross were blessed in Sagunto, to which act they accompanied the two bands that had then the Lira Saguntina and El Arte. In that same year the statutes were created by which the band was to be ruled. In 1914 a theater company was established under the auspices of the Society with such good reception that it had weekly performances, directed by Rafael López Pons, including the works of El duo de la Africana, La Canción del Olvido. Real controversies to distribute the personjes since they all wanted to be the main ones.
The Musical Grouping does not cease in its performances; Giving concerts in the locality. They are more well-known works in the repertoire of that time: The Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz Liszt, Scenes Pintorescas by Massenet, Moors and Christians by Serrano, Hansel und Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck, etc...
Until 1930, the band ddid not return to act outside of Sagunto in that same year in the month of November is blessed the new standard. It holds the first prize in the contest of Valencia, directed by Bernabé Sanchís. Traditionally the band made the auditions in addition to its social premises, in the old terraet of the Glorieta.
In 1936 this society how many others, with the outbreak of the civil war, suffers a serious upheaval. They lose files and data that damage the compilation by dates of several historical documents. Until July 20, 1939, after ending the war, A Commission was formed to reorganize the Society. On August 10, with Florencio Delgado as president and Valentín Palencia Muñoz as director, the company is back on track. On June 5, 1936, in the Society a Mutua was formed so that the members who died account with the band at their burial, (hence the nickname "Els enterradors" (The enterrers) this custom was maintained until the years 70.
In November 1939, the image of Santa Cecilia was delivered to the Society by Román Bolinches, on behalf of the feast commission of Santa Cecilia. In this same year, the Sociedad Musical El Arte, nicknamed "El Moc", was forced to dissolve by order of the civil governor of Valencia Francisco Javier Planas Tovar. The motives were for lack of will to negotiate its merger with La Sagrada Lira. In fact they were also political motives, the rumors of this postwar period, they said that some neighbors of Sagunto were assassinated to be linked to the Musical Society "The Art". At the provincial assembly, held in Sagunto on March 17, 1940, the musicians of the band released new uniforms, those of the FET and JONS
A few years of crisis and discord passed, when members of the late band El Arte became part of La Lira. The return to Sagunto of his favorite son, Joaquín Rodrigo, who had been missing from the city since 1906, is an intimate and emotional act for the band and the whole city in the late 1950's.
On June 10, 1954, Joaquín Rodrigo of the medal of the Great Cross of Alfonso X "El Sabio" was presented in Madrid. Cortesía de la Sociedad Musical Lira Saguntina, paid by popular subscription. In the floods of Valencia of 1957, a donation of 500 pesetas for the victims was made and the acts in honor to Santa Cecilia were suspended in signal of mourning. The Golden Wedding of the Society was celebrated in 1959, with the performance of the Band, directed by Julio Rivelles Brunet, the Municipal Orchestra of Valencia, directed by José Ferriz and the Polyphonic Porteña Choir, directed by the maestro José Sanchís Cuartero.De Presenters were Fernando Cos Gayón and journalist José María Hernández Perpiñá. In that same year the Cine-Club was created. And in July, in the Contest of Valencia, First Prize of the First Section was obtained, obtaining again the Prize of Direction Julio Ribelles.
Between 1962 and 1963, the great cultural campaign that developed Altos Hornos de Vizcaya to the Society stands out, numerous concerts in which this entity hired the Band. On June 16, 1962, the band was present at the reception to Francisco Franco.
The Hymn to Sagunto was declared official on February 12, 1975. For the first time on the 50th anniversary of CN Chronicler Chabret, while the Senyera blessed descended from the balcony of the City Hall. A new flag is released on June 26, 1983, embroidered by Saguntine women. The prelude to what would later be the Music Courses "City of Sagunto" was a course based on "musical instruments of wind", held in February 1984, and taught by Bernardo Adam Ferrero.
The First Prize with Honorable Mention was obtained in June 1989, in the Special Section B, with the symphonic poem Sagunto by Bernardo Adam Ferrero and the obligatory work Rituals i dances dÄlgemesí. The work Sagunto contributed to This contest two alpine horns, interpreted by the brothers Gómez de Edeta, electronic sequencers and the narrative of the Saguntine gesture, included in the work, in the voice of Vicente Vayá Pla, text by Santiago Bru i Vidal, whose premiere was made the same Year on July 8 at the Teatro Romano.
In 1992, February 22, El Himno Fallero Saguntino, composed by José Sanchís Cuartero, was premiered along with all the parochial choirs from Sagunto Puerto de Sagunto and Petrés. Towards the years 1992-1994 it could be said that the Society suffers a "crisis", political changes, the suffering of the Reconversion, nonsense... from which it will naturally resurface again.
The Society of La Lira Saguntina is closely linked to the Mayoralía de la Purissima Sang. There are magnificent concerts of Sacred music in Holy Week. The Society has delivered its highest distinction, the gold lire, to: Secretary General of the Movement of 1960, Civil Governor of Valencia Jesus Posada Cacho of the same year, Joaquín Rodrigo Vidré, Santiago Brú i Vidal, Bernabé SaPorta, José Zahonero Vivó , Captain General of the third Military Region, Captain General José Freire and the Caja de Ahorros y Socorros de Sagunto. The silver lire to: Julio Ribelles Brunet and all partners with more than 50 years in the Society, as well as the honorary title of "Perpetual Director" to Antonio Palanca, the "Perpetual Partner" to Miguel Vives Llopis and The "First Benefactor Partner" to Julián García Lluch; The last three posthumously.
In his "Book of Gold" are autographs and dedications of Pedro Echevarría (November 23, 1962), Victoria Kamhi de Rodrigo and Joaquín Rodrigo Vidré (December 20, 1962), María Teresa de Borbón, Julio Ribelles Brunet ( 1916-1966), Manuel Palau (July 18, 1966), Agustín Alaman (July 18, 1966), Eduardo López Chavarri, priest, (October 21, 1966), Yollu Wangenheim (November 28, 1968) , Manuel Fraga Iribarne (October 2, 1981), Manuel Vallespín, Mario Monreal, José María Maravall, Joan Lerma, Francisco Blasco, Joaquín Palomares and members of the World Council for Vocational Training, among others.
On June 2, 2012, the most extraordinary concert took place to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Orchestra. After the performance of the two previous directors were given a commemorative plaque, naming them Honorary Partners, as stated in the minutes of May 16, 2012.