The Regensburger Kantorei was founded in 1888 as "Protestantischer Kirchenchor e.V.". The tradition of Protestant church music life goes back to the year 1542. Based at the Dreieinigkeitskirche, the choir was rebuilt in 1967 by its former director, Walter Opp, with many young singers. He also gave the choir its present name "Regensburger Kantorei".
From 1978 until his retirement in 2008 Christian Kroll led the choir, continuing purposefully the successful work of his predecessor. Under his leadership the Regensburger Kantorei provided an extensive concert schedule, including repeated performance of J.S. Bach's great Passions, the Weihnachts-Oratorium (BWV 248) and numerous cantatas. But works by Heinrich Schütz, George Frideric Handel, Gluck, Haydn, Mozart, L.v. Beethoven, Schubert, Felix Mendelssohn, Bruckner, Johannes Brahms and contemporary composers such as Igor Stravinsky, Benjamin Britten, Martin, Orff, Arthur Honegger and Werner Jacob were also in the program. These concerts were also repeatedly collaborated with renowned orchestras, such as Prague, Nuremberg and Münchner Symphoniker, the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and the Moravian Philharmonic Olmütz. Concert tours in Bavaria (Munich Ettal, Riedenburg) and to Italy, Hungary, Czech Republic, Scotland and Israel, and radio and television recordings enrich the musical (and other) life of the choir members.
In October 2008, church music director (KMD) Roman Emilius, who had been previously active in Munich, succeeded Christian Kroll as the new Kantor and director of the Regensburger Kantorei.