The German conductor, Philipp Röhl, founded the Philharmonischer Chor Köln in 1947 as free and independent concert choir. Philipp Röhl was one of the busiest in the choir life of Köln. After his activity as church musician, he led as a first director of choir Kölner Opernchor, rebuilt after end of World War II the Gürzenich-Chor considerably and led long years Kölner Hochschulchor and the concert ensemble class of the Staatlichen Hochschule für Musik Köln.
In 1948 Philipp Röhl appeared with the Philharmonischer Chor Köln for the first time in public. Soon the choir counted about 200 active singers. With this quantity of singers he gave about 300 choir concerts, mostly in Köln's Gürzenich. He made guest performances with the choir in numerous other German cities, in addition, in other European countries. Many of the concerts were broadcasted.
When Philipp Röhl handed over the Philharmonischer Chor Köln to his successor Horst Meinardus, the choir did not only enjoy national acknowledgement: it was highly esteemed as one of the best European choirs.
Philipp Röhl published with the Philharmonischer Chor Köln number of LP and CD recordings (Matthäus-Passion (BWV 244), Mass in B minor (BWV 232), Schöpfung, as well as the Werfel Cantata and the Te Deum of Rudolf Petzold).