Der Staats- und Domchor Berlin (The State and Cathedral Choir Berlin = SDB) is one of the most renowned boy choirs of Germany. It is the oldest musical organisation of Berlin. Already in 1465 Friedrich II chose of Hohenzollern für die Musik in the "Dhumkerke" five "singing boys". Later the establishment of a Hofkapelle, also under the direction of Johannnes Eccard, led well hundred years at the first bloom time of the choir extended in the meantime to 12 singers. To international reputation of the ensemble came for the first time in the 19th Century under the direction of Felix Mendelssohn, Otto Nicolai and August Neithardt. After the end of World War I very successful Hof- und Domchor with the Kaisertum lost its political foundation, renamed in the meantime as "Staats- und Domchor Berlin" and are today attached to the Hochschule für Musik Berlin. Since beginning of the 1930’s the National Socialist influence shaped also this ensemble in increasing way, up to the political instrumentation with acts of state.
The situation of the choir after the World War II reflected the island situation of Berlin in the cold war. Robbed, the singers had to change over to its actual effect place to other churches of the city and became at the same time by international concert tours to the Ambassador of divided Germany.
Today the Staats- und Domchor Berlin is part of the Universität der Künste Berlin. Since 1993 it sings again in the Berliner Dom.
The today's repertoire covers the large works of the choral literature. In the centre are located thereby traditional compositions of the 16th to 18th centuries. In recent years their programmes have been extended to include also works of the Romantic, Classical and Modern eras. Apart from numerous prizes, among other things, of the Deutschen Chorwettbewerb (German Choir Competition), the choir was distinguished in 2002 with the European Youth Choir Culture Price. The music life of Berlin enrich the ensemble members by appearances in productions of the opera houses and co-operations with concerts at the Berlin’s Philharmonie.