Thomas Braatz wrote (February 4, 2002):
Autograph score: It is unclear just how this cantata was separated from the others in W.F. Bach’s possession. Just how Christian Friedrich Penzel, a collector of Bach manuscripts of various types acquired it, is unclear, but his nephew Cantor G Schuster inherited after his uncle’s death. He then sold it to Franz Hauser in May 1833. The BB (Staatsbibliothek Berlin), where it is now located, acquired it from the Franz Hauser estate in 1904.
Original set of parts: These are now in the Bach Archiv in Leipzig and originally were presented to the St. Thomas School by Bach’s widow soon after his death.
Originally from the Paul Gerhardt chorale text, of which some verses were copied directly, but others paraphrased by an unknown librettist. The NBA editors believe that the paraphrased sections may have been written by Bach himself. This is based in part on the following evidence: The soprano, in Mvt. 7 (Chorale + Recitatives), is the last solo voice to sing the final section. In this short section the words, “mit gedämpften Saiten” [“with muted strings”] occur, which serve to introduce the soprano aria which follows directly. In this aria all the strings are played pizzicato, thus reducing their normal volume.
January 28, 1725